From GRAVEL TO GREEN.
After nearly a century of supplying San Diego with the sand and rock needed to build one of our nation’s most beautiful cities, this former sand and gravel quarry is undergoing a transformation into a sustainable community incorporating the latest technology. Our responsible design and development are just part of our picture. The Civita plan is about looking ahead, fueling new ideas with resources and technology, and realizing an enlightened vision in sustainable living.
Our central location and easy access to the trolley make for shorter commutes for most residents. A Civita shuttle currently operates during peak drive times, taking residents to several nearby trolley stops. But it’s inside the community where our green really shows. Sustainable building materials, energy-saving appliances, and the latest technology all combine to create buildings that exceed energy standards. Most recently we partnered with SDG&E to announce our “smart energy community” program which includes the installation of solar panels, vehicle charging stations, fuel cell generation, battery storage, and enhanced energy management tools for residents and businesses. These smart grid technologies will help residents and businesses conserve electricity, preserve the environment and ensure that Civita remains a low-carbon community.
Steps Toward Creating a More Sustainable Future
- 2012 Civita announces partnership with SDG&E to create a “smart energy community”
- 2012 Civita partners with AT&T to provide fiber to the home and office and offer the AT&T U-verse® suite of services
- 2010 Outstanding Planning and Leadership and Service Award – awarded by the San Diego Chapter of the American Planning Association for Civita’s LEED-ND Pilot Program
- 2010 Catalyst Project of the Year – awarded by the California Department of Housing and Community Development
- 2009 Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award (GEELA) – awarded by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for Civita’s Comprehensive Land Use Planning
- 2009 Winner of “Gold” Certification – awarded by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) for Civita’s LEED-ND Pilot Program
- 2009 San Diego Merit Award for Sustaining Excellence – awarded by American Society of Landscape Architects to Wallace Roberts & Todd, landscape architects for Civita